Are you interested in data science? Are you interested in getting funding for tuition and a stipend for attending graduate school?
Our MS/PhD programs are revised to reflect our department's recent growth in data science research and training opportunities, and all admitted students receive funding!
Master of Science and Doctoral Programs
With the recent booms in data analytics, data science, and statistics, it is often a challenge to figure out which program is the best for you. We find that our students often answer yes to at least one of the following:
- Are you an undergraduate student majoring in mathematics, physics, computer science, or statistics?
- Did you enjoy your calculus sequence?
- Are you interested in working with real data or performing data analytics, while using your mathematical background?
- Do you enjoy programming, and find yourself more intrigued by the results than by the code?
- Are you interested in getting funding for tuition and a stipend for attending graduate school?
MS and/or PhD Student Funding
All students who apply and are admitted to our MS and/or PhD programs receive funding through Teaching and Research Assistantships. Assistantships in our department include:
Approximately 20 hours of work per week
Full tuition scholarship (resident/non-resident tuition -- includes international student tuition), student health insurance, student health fee, Johnson Center fee
Stipends and Fellowships ranging from $22,000 to $23,000 for Fall/Spring semesters
Designated individual desk space with a desktop computer in shared student offices
Summer funding opportunities
Travel funding opportunities
Opportunities to work in the Predictive Analytics and Data Science Hub on real data analyses
Recent Employment for MS and PhD Graduates
Our recent graduates have considered multiple job offers and chosen the best fit for them. COVID-19 has not impacted the job market for our graduate students. Some of their recent positions include:
- Master of Science Degree
- Statistician, NASA Langley Research Center
- Data Scientist, Red Hat
- Statistical Analyst, Medpace
- Doctoral Degree - Academia
- Assistant Professor, Virginia Commonwealth University
- Assistant Professor, University of Hawaii-Hilo
- Assistant Professor, California State University-Chico
- Doctoral Degree - Industry
- Senior Data Scientist, YouTube
- Master Specialist, Deloitte Consulting
- Senior Scientist in Clinical Safety Statistics, Merck Pharmaceuticals
Application Fee Waiver Request
There are a limited number of application fee waivers available for the MS/PhD programs in Statistics from the Dr. Bing Zhang Department of Statistics. Please fill out the following form for consideration for a waiver. Please note that we are unable to waive test scores (e.g., General GRE exam, language screening scores). Please click here to fill out the request form.
With recent growth in data analytics, data science, and statistics, it is often a challenge to figure out which program is the best for you. We offer both traditional in-person programs and online programs with a variety of focus areas. Please take a look at our website and reach out to us as you have questions!
Questions? Please contact:
Dr. Katherine Thompson, Director of Graduate Studies
301 Multidisciplinary Science Building
725 Rose Street
Lexington, KY 40536-0082